Family LawChild Support
Child Support in Washington State
Child support is a significant legal matter that arises in various cases, such as divorce, legal separation, and establishing paternity. In Washington State, child support is regulated by specific statutory guidelines that consider the income of the parents and the needs of the child. In this write-up, we will discuss the child support statutes in Washington State, the factors that the court considers when making decisions, and provide supporting case law to showcase our expertise in this area of law.
Child Support Statutes in Washington State
In Washington State, child support is governed by the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) 26.19. The statute establishes the basic formula for calculating child support based on the incomes of both parents and the needs of the child. The formula takes into account the number of children, the income of each parent, and the cost of child care and health insurance, among other factors.
What the Court Looks at in Decisions:
When making decisions about child support, the court takes into consideration a variety of factors. Some of the most important factors include:
- The income of each parent, including any bonuses or commissions.
- The number of children and their ages.
- The financial resources of the parents, including any income or assets.
- The cost of health insurance and child care.
- The standard of living that the child would have enjoyed had the parents not separated.
- The educational and special needs of the child.
- Any extraordinary financial needs of the child.
- The parent’s assets, including any real estate, investments, or other property.
- Any spousal maintenance or support paid by either parent.
- Any other relevant factor that may affect the financial needs of the child.
How Our Firm Can Help?
At The Cowlitz Law Group, we have extensive experience in handling child support cases in Washington State. Our team of attorneys is dedicated to providing our clients with the legal guidance and support they need to achieve a favorable outcome. We understand that every child support case is unique, and we work closely with our clients to develop a customized legal strategy that meets their specific needs.
In conclusion, child support is a significant legal matter that necessitates thorough attention to the child’s needs and the financial situation of both parents. If you require legal assistance with a child support case, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our law firm for a consultation. We possess a comprehensive understanding of the laws and regulations pertaining to child support in Washington State, and we can provide effective legal representation to help you achieve your objectives. With our experience and expertise, you can rest assured that you are in capable hands.